Proj #1: Penguin(s are officially evil)

Penguin
MB File
“Pick an object and try to render it as realistically as possible.”

Process Comments
Preliminary Before starting, I tried to get really decent reference pictures of it to use in the image planes. What I found out is that I am incapable of taking good & useful reference images but I made do with what I managed to get.
Body So with the improperly angled and scaled reference images in the image planes, I decided to go with lofting CV curves. I split the body into essentially a 2×3 grid. I focused on the right half first, then drew the 3 curves for each section and lofted. I merged the vertices between sections inside the penguin in order to get that etched look that separated the sections. I then copied the completed half and attached the two halves together.
Also, I think the real penguin’s shorter and rounder than my model.
Detailing For the details on the body such as the extra ridges around the chest, etc, I drew CV curves to represent them and projected the curves unto the body. Once I had the curve projected, I intended to split them but that functionality is apparently really finicky in Maya. I ended up having to do interactive-split on a lot of the faces and moving vertices around to get the general shape. Once I had the shape, I extruded more often than not.
Arms I used the same method for the arms as I did with the detailing. Unfortunately, this method did not work out as well. It might have been a lot better had I used a sphere/cylinder and transformed it accordingly. Then attached them to the body. It’s also hard to see the arms exist with the black lambert shader.
Feet I did the toes 2 different ways. I believe the one I included in the final were transformed cylinders. Once I had a toe done, I copied and transformed for the other two.
For the ankle/leg part, I used a transformed sphere. I attached the toes to the sphere once I had the shape down for the leg/back part of the foot. I then split the faces to get the flattened look on the bottom. I also used edge loops and scaling to get that extra ridge detail around the feet.
Face I drew 2 curves for the top & bottom of the beak. Lofted between them and filled the holes, and then attached them to the face.
Eyes were 2 spheres, pushed back at the 3rd ring and then pulled out the inner ring to get the pupil.
Eyebrows were faces duplicated from the top half of the eyes and transformed.
General
Comments
I realize that I have a hard time keeping track of my mesh, and ensuring that everything is clean especially when using tools like cut faces. I also need to start thinking more about tangency and resolution of the edges I’m attaching. I would not be surprised if there are a few n-gons and concave faces. I tried to clean it up and keep it clean, but it can get overwhelming at times.
Also, I learned organic bodies are really hard. When working with organic shapes, I realize I have a tendency to work in the smooth view, which does not always mean it will look right outside of that view. This is why I think there might be some off-looking shapes that I overlooked.
Finally, I didn’t attempt to get the Dreamworks logo in. I fear what kind of mess my mesh would be in if I had.